Deciding how to educate your child can be overwhelming, but momma, there is freedom—because of the gospel—in our education methods. In this episode, Emily and Laura kickoff our RM month of education with the first of four podcast shows on schooling choices! Deciding how to educate your child reveals a lot of options, opinions, and pressures from both inside and outside of your home. We hope you’ll join us over the next month while we talk about private, public, and homeschooling, and how the gospel gives us freedom to choose, in the context of our own situation, for the glory of God.
Articles, Resources and Related Content:
We have a special place to find our collection of education resources this month! Here you’ll find links to all of the interviews, resources and tools we’ve found helpful, and the RM questionnaire to serve as a springboard of things to think about as you and your family consider the decision of how to educate your child.
Below, you’ll find some episode-specific resources:
- Deuteronomy 6:4-9: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”
- Proverbs 22:6: “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
- Ephesians 6:4: “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.”
- Ep. 56: Feeding Our Families & the Gospel
- To subscribe: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app. You may need to copy the link into your favorite podcast app (like Overcast or Stitcher).
- Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another mother will find us.
- Like Risen Motherhood on Facebook and follow on Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates and related information.
- Let us know your thoughts! We'd love to hear more about the conversations you're having. Shoot us an email, or find us on social media.
- Tell others. We truly hope this podcast fosters conversations and deeper discussions between mothers to seek the gospel in their daily activities - we'd be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.
*Affiliate links used where appropriate. Thanks for supporting this ministry!
RM APPLY QUESTIONS
As we kick-off our education series, let’s think about what ideas we already have about education. Do you have a gut reaction to one type of schooling? Why do you currently prefer one option over another?
Your child must receive training and instruction in the Christian faith—that’s a parent’s responsibility as stated in scripture. How does this play out over the course of a child’s life? What does this look like in the day-to-day? How does school factor into this calling for parents?
How might you take pride in or fear the opinions of your peers/family through your schooling choice? What is the gospel’s response to that (think: what justifies you before God)?
Your family is unique, and your kids’ needs are unique—even from one another! Think of your family and list some educational needs that you’ll need to consider as you make school decisions. How can different schooling options serve and challenge your kiddos?
We want to focus on unity in the gospel this year at RM. You probably know someone who has chosen a different education method than your family. What does it look like to encourage another mom in her biblical call to train up her child in the faith in her unique situation? How can you build her up?